Moon Festival – EDGE Ashfield
Everyone is invited to enjoy this full Moon Festival a time where friends and family gather to share and give thanks for the bounty of the year that has passed. Ashfield Town Centre comes alive with free performances, fun experiences, photo booths, breathtaking artworks, Chinese blessings, light infused fashion shows, Chinese Calligraphy, Karoke with a twist, illustrated storytelling and more.
Join a guided ‘Moon Art’ tour around Ashfield showcasing 13 new artworks exploring the moon. From murals to sound and visual arts installations, to re-imagined moon landings and zodiac decals. Culminating in a performance by Jayanto Tan at Ritual Moon Garden. The Moon Festival will be MC’d by Andy Trieu (PopAsia SBS TV presenter, three-time Australian Champion Martial Artist and musician) who will also be demonstrating his use of the broadsword a weapon commonly used in Martial Arts Schools and also referred to as the “Chinese Sabre”, look out Luke Skywalker!
Follow the Korean Street Drummers into the Ashfield Town Hall for a ticketed show of traditional and contemporary Asian Australian culture, produced by Sydney Sacred Music Festival.
Ashfield Civic Precinct
5pm to 7pm
- Artist-led tours of 20 new artworks. FREE. Bookings
- Live Chinese calligraphic demonstration – Master Carol Liu (Love Peace Harmony Foundation)
- Storybombing hub
- Moon Stories for all ages
- Performance by Jayanto Tan next to Ritual Nirvana in the Moon Garden – Ashfield Mall (top of escalators -Lvl.1)
- Chinese Blessing
- Formal proceedings 6pm, in the Ashfield forecourt
– Welcome: Andy Trieu
– Mayoral welcome and speech: Mayor Darcy Byrne
– Opening address: Professor Jocelyn Chey AM FAIIA
- Fashtech Wearable Art Show in a motion triggered moon tunnel
- Fortune cookie giveaway
- Chinese broadsword demonstration – Andy Trieu
- Korean street drumming – Towleem Pungmulpae