Livvi’s Place Playground @ Timbrell Park, Five Dock
This large park features wide open sports fields, landscaped seating areas and the incredible Livvi’s Place playground and Livvi’s Cafe.
On the southern end of Timbrell Park is Livvi’s Place, Australia’s first and award winning all abilities playground. The playground, the vision of the Touched by Olivia Foundation, has been specifically designed to cater for vision, hearing and mobility impairments as well as spectrum disorders. The equipment includes a mechanically powered merry-go-round, a snakes and ladders activity path, a sensory maze, an activity climbing net, a sway bridge and wobble walk, an all abilities ramp and slide, a birds-nest swing, tandem bull riders and sandpit.
Some of the design features are listed below but an astounding amount of thought, research and care that has gone into into the design and subsequent re-design and refurbishment of this all abilities playground.
Livvi’s Place has been purpose built and designed to cater for all ages and abilities. The playground has the following features which enables children and parents of all abilities and ages to play side-by- side on the same equipment, ensuring integration of children and families with special needs.
- Wheelchairs can access all parts of the playground
- Using texture and colour, footpaths are designed to allow the visually impaired to orient themselves around the playground without having to be led by a carer.
- Yellow banding either side of the footpaths also provide a safe zone for spectrum kids, away from the high activity area yet allowing them to traverse the entire playground.
- Soft fall areas are also defined by colour, allowing the vision impaired to navigate safely through the play equipment.
- Musical sculpture that provides a vibration that is pitch specific allows the hearing impaired to experience sound.
- The mechanically powered merry-go-round allows those in wheelchairs to experience the ride as a group. Seats are also provided on the carousel.
- Many of the items of equipment have been modified to allow an adult to assist or support a child.
Within the fenced playground area is also a large BBQ and a number of covered picnic tables which are suitable for a kids birthday party.
Livvi’s Cafe opened in 2014 so now you can grab a coffee or even a meal while you’re taking a break from playing! Wheelchair accessible bathrooms are situated in the amenities block behind the cafe and includes an electric adult change table (accessible with a key). There is also an accessible set-down area outside the playground.
To the north of the playground area is the majority of Timbrell Park. It comprises a number of multi-use sports fields and an amenities block. This field is the home ground of the Five Dock Falcons baseball team and their kiosk is open on weekends.
All abilities playground facilities (fenced)
Cafe onsite (Livvi’s Cafe)
Sporting facilities (sports fields)
BBQ facilities & picnic tables